The URDT methodology has 3 fundamental results at individual, house hold and community level:
- Mastery of the principles of the creative process. Making ones way of life in the creative orientation in which the individual is consistently in touch with ones aspirations, values, vision, current reality and structural tension. And recognizing what choices1 must be made (primary and secondary) in favour of ones vision. This leads to what we call: visionary leadership.
- Mastery of systems thinking. By looking at the interrelationship between primary and secondary choices, a larger picture emerges: the interfaces develop and once the individual or the community appreciate the interconnectedness and how each element influences and is influenceb by others, this is what is called ‘systems thinking’. It result in an intergrated development programme.
- Mastery of sustainable development. Given that there are many primary and secondary choices leading to the attainment of the aspiration, the question ‘what next’ leads to formulating a new vision and the same cycle of structural tension is developed, actions evolved and this leads to sustainable development.
It is one thing to have a vision and another thing to put food on the table. Vision alone is not enough. Commitment will not lead to effective action.
Therefore, training in relevant skills (personal mastery) follows as people learn new knowledge and relate differently to themselves, others and tasks at hand. Once all these are mastered, community learning takes place and sustainable change happens:-the secret of rural transformation.
URDT has developed path ways through:
- URDT education institutions;
- its Community Radio (KKCR 91.7)
- the African Rural University (ARU) which is now independent, but a close partner of URDT.
Through ARU, the URDT methodology is now taught at University level. This way, we can create more visionary leaders and systems thinkers to enable others to be creators of the live they truly desire.
- Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Silvana Franco Veltkamp - January 19, 2024
- Graduates of URDT Institute join the rest of the participants at the EXCO showcase at Helipad, Serena Hotel - November 23, 2023
- District Stake holders Applaud URDT-I for transforming youth into responsible citizens - November 21, 2023