URDT was founded to address the missing link in development programmes, the merger of:
- truly functional education;
- consciousness and conscience raising;
- skills training;
- rural development interventions.
with the intent of empowering marginalized people living in rural communities in Uganda.
Since 1987, URDT has evolved, applied and tested a rural development methodology based on the principles of the creative process and systems thinking.
Rural development requires a resource base of people who are catalysts, subject matter specialists and energizers to work alongside marginalized communities to make change happen. To that effect, URDT:
- Has founded formal innovative education institutions that train young people to become catalysts of change by using the URDT methodology:
The award winning URDT Girls School that uses the 2-generation approach to education;
The award winning URDT Institute for Vocational Training and Youth Leadership;
The African Rural University
- Adopted a primary and secondary community schools to pilot test the 2-generation approach in a community school setting;
- Training and Sending Epi Center Managers in the community to create a critical change;
- Manages an award winning community radio station: KKCR 91.7 FM to raise shift mindsets and develop commitment to fundamental change in thinking and action;
- Developed capacity of non state actors and local government for greater impact.